12th April 2007, the very date I got enlisted into National Service. And then in a flash, 1 full year, or rather, 366 days to be exact, has passed by. Today is the official day I become a 1-year soldier. Then again, to say time has passed by so fast, it isn't really like that kind of lightning speed fast. Sometimes the seconds can crawl real well, and it gets onto my nerves more than anything else! But of course, it isn't that slow either. Coz till now, I cannot fathom the thought that I'm truly a 1-year soldier now. 1 full year inside TPO. Oh my...
I can still vividly recall the day I got enlisted. Like some pumpkin knowing nuts about the TPO, I was simply like every other recruits around me, nervous and unsure of what to expect from it. Furthermore, I would have to go through a confinement of 2 weekends inside there. It's not like I've never been away from home for so long, (Taiwan Immersion Programme200518 days) but the fact that I'd be chucked out from the civilised world for 16 long days, and that I'm not going to the island for some form of holiday or relaxation. It's because of the uncertainty, the unknowning, that results in the anxiety built within me.
And so, I was naturally just dreading the entire ordeal of enlisting. It started off quite alright, having my parents beside me, giving me some sense of security. Then upon reaching the island, we have to separate to different routes instantly. I tell you, I swear that the butterflies in my stomach must have enough strength to force it's way out of my abdomen! Lol. Anyway it's like from there, I was waiting to get to the auditorium, while my parents were having tours of my bunk and stuff. Sat at the holding area, looking around at the people who seem like future army mates. Got to know that I'd be going to Falcon Coy, but unsure of which platoon I'd be in. The wait was horrible; wild thoughts of what's going to happen from there keep running through my mind. I just felt like I was at the brink of exploding! Lol.
After like what seemed to be aeons, we were all ushered into the auditorium. That was when I reunited with my parents again. Lol. The swearing in ceremony took place, and after that, everything seems to happen so fast. Dinner, which didn't last long, and before I could even jolt myself to reality, I was actually bidding farewell to my parents. That classic moment's still fresh in my mind alright. At the entrace of TFT, my mother was like, "Huh?! Leaving now?!" and she immediately burst into tears. I was totally shock and at a lost of what to do as well. All I could do was to comfort her and assure her that I'd be fine.
Hence, their departure marks the start of regimental life for me. Well, it wasn't that bad afterall, as I must say that at this point in time, I would still choose my BMT life as the most memorable time I had have throughout this entire 1 year of service so far. I even recall how, before enlistment, I would be going out with Zong Yi to train for it. First was the Safra gyms, then the membership expired so we just head down to Bukit Gombak Sports Complex gym. And I guess the training didn't work well for me as compared to Zong Yi. Lol. Coz I was still a zero-fighter when enlisted, but he could like do a dozen pull-ups! Come to think of it, BMT was rather difficult to go through for me coz I had loads of problems on the physical aspects. Must be the reason that I didn't manage to go to command school. Lol.
Oh wells. There were regrets, but it's more or less over now and of course, have moved on long time ago. Down to 10 months more before the date to be operationally-ready arrives. Within this period is a schedule full of even more hectic activities to be carried out. At least I've finally cleared my IPPT and got a GOLD for the first time! Hooray. No more IPPT for the rest of NSF life. Ha. But still, there's SOC, ACCT and Shoot. Then there's more standby, OPs, SAF day, NDP, bty exercises, bn exercises, India. Oh man, the list just seems never-ending. Oh wells. 10 more months. I know I can survive this last 10 months! Till then, then!
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment