Sunday, October 12, 2008

Economic Woes

Hai. Of all times, a financial crisis has to happen when I am about to ORD. Seriously feeling damn sian right now! It just makes me feel so sick seeing the economy plunging in this manner! Stock markets that were once rich are now being emptied out like nobody's business. Currency values are dropping so much they seem like they can hit rock bottom real soon. Arghz! I'm especially frustrated when seeing our dearest SG dollar falling, while the USD pegged against our dollar consistently rising. Man! It was like USD$1 = S$1.44 last Monday, and it rose to as high as USD$1 = S$1.48 on Friday. A 4 cents leapt in just five days! Ouch man! Furthermore, hearing the news of MAS shifting its policy stance to a zero percent appreciation from modest and gradual appreciation, makes me feel like killing myself! ARGHZ! It simply just means that the SGD will further weaken, while that freaking USD will just rise higher and higher. Damn it!

Why am I so concerned over this crisis?! Coz it really matters quite a lot for my plans after ORD! If the economy isn't going to do well, it means lesser job opportunities for me. It means I might not be able to get a better paying job, something I greatly require in order to be able to finance my trip to the USA next year. Furthermore, with the USD value rising ever higher, my budget for this trip will simply increase accordingly. The only thing then that I can hope for is a depreciation in value for goods and services! Or else, my overseas plans for next year will be absolutely doomed! :(

Working overseas is also another issue bothering me greatly right now! Think about it. It makes perfect sense to be working in the US, earn some good USD, and then spend those USD right?! In that fashion, I won't have to be paying for the exchange rates, saving me a large sum of money, and thus allowing me to have a greater spending power when I holiday at there. Hai. Unfortunately, it somehow just sounds too good to be true now isn't it?! I've been trying to contact so many agents that offers this Work/Travel USA program, but to no avail. Either they say I am not eligible because I am not yet a student, or else they don't even bother replying my emails. How man, how?! I really really really want to do this thing, spend a good 3 or 4 months over there, gaining a brand new, unique experience! I do think that this is the best way to spend those few months most fruitfully, rather than to just get another office job in Singapore and rot it away. Arghz!

With that horrendous trip to India coming up, there's really very little time left for me to get all this stuff settled! Becoming more and more frustrated over this thing! Damn it! If seriously no agents is willing to aid me, then I shall just do it all by myself. Apply all the damn crap by myself, and hopefully be able to get a decent job when I reach there. I know this sounds totally crazy, but I'm only saying so because I have full support from my dear parents! Hahaa. So by hook or by crook, I must do this! Despite all the difficulties and hardships I'm facing, I will not give up! Throw everything you have at me, and I'll still fight my way thru you! RAHHHHH!!!

Ok. I shall stop here. Will continue with my search now. Till then.

1 comment:

pam said...

don't worry about it chuan.. money gets you to where experience will take you from. how often will you get such a forced long break like that? there're so many other countries you can choose from too!